There are several reasons people find it difficult to maintain a white smile. Some of the reasons include age, as a side effect of some drugs, coffee, tea, soda, and red wine. Some teeth stains are removed through regular brushing, while others require a tooth whitening procedure.
Having a straight white smile is becoming a new trend. Recently, it is often referred to as the Hollywood smile since it is a popular trend among Hollywood celebrities – straight, white teeth.
Previously, the cost of getting a white smile served as a restraining order stopping people from getting it.
In recent times, the cost of getting a white smile has become far more affordable. At the moment cosmetic dentistry is accessible and as ‘normal’ as visiting a salon or beauty store.
With growing interest in getting a white smile and people consistently looking for ways to join the Hollywood smile party. It is important to note that the health of your smile is as important as the colour of your smile.
According to a 2019 research
- One-in-five (20%) Canadian adults have had cosmetic dentistry – and nearly one-in-ten (9%) have had it in the last year alone.
- Canada ranks above the United States in this area of its healthcare provisions.
- Some studies and reports showcase its population’s teeth as some of the whitest and straightest in the world.
- In the past year, most Canadians have seen a dental professional (74.7%), only 22.4% avoided going at least once because of the cost.
- Another 19% of the population say they are looking into cosmetic dental work to have it one day soon.
- Tooth whitening came on top of the dental treatment needed. One-in-three (32%) Canadians want whiter teeth, while two-in-three (66%) have actively considered it.
Good dental health means good health, overall
It isn’t any surprise that those who report feeling the most satisfied in their relationships are those who smile a great deal. Research involving high school yearbooks has shown that those who smile in their yearbook photos feel that they have effective relationships and can connect with others well. A survey was made on people in their current relationships and compared with their high school yearbook pictures from several decades ago. The result shows that those who reported the most happiness in their relationships also had some of the biggest smiles in their high school photos.
For women, dental health care has been linked to pregnancy. Overall, women with poor dental hygiene are at a higher risk of having a premature delivery.
Striking a balance between a healthy smile and a white smile
It is better to consult a dentist rather than using DIY Methods at home. DIY methods might get you the white smile you need, but they might affect the gums and lead to other dental issues. So if you want to get a white smile, ensure you consult your dentist.
After getting a white smile, it is important to maintain it. Below are some steps you should take to maintain the white smile
- Brushing your teeth two times every day with fluoride toothpaste for two minutes. This is best done the last thing around evening time and one other time during the day.
- Cleaning the middle of your teeth every day with interdental brushes or floss.
- Using mouthwash every day.
- Reducing the amount of sugar intake
Sticking to these basic steps guarantees a strong and healthy white smile.